Tuesday, March 31, 2015

7 reasons you should work at a camp this summer... Instead of getting an internship

It's no secret that I'm an advocate for camp. I believe that everyone as a kid should get the chance to spend a week at camp once a summer. They deserve to be out in nature, away from technology, enjoying independence, getting a little (or a lot) dirty. They just deserve it. But I also believe that every young adult (or any adult really) owes it to themselves to work at a camp. This belief means that I have this knee-jerk reaction to roll my eyes when I approach someone about working at camp and they say "No... I'm going to get an internship this summer." What they don't realize, is working at a camp is just as valuable as an internship (And I would argue it's more valuable). Here's why.

1) When you work at a Christian camp, you are investing in eternity. You're helping kids grow in their faith. That is so incredibly important and an awesome experience to have.

2) You're making lifelong friends with the people you work with. One summer can gain you friends who will challenge you, love you unconditionally (because they've probably seen you at your worst at camp... But they've also seen you at your best), and they will support you through anything.


3) Employers love it. I can't tell you how many interviews I've had where people brought up my camp experience because it was listed on my resume. They're impressed with the responsibility I was entrusted with for a whole summer. Also, you can get experience in a wide range of things that said employers may love. For example, at CCWNY, we always need people to help with publicity, help in the office, help with our brochure, be lifeguards, help in the kitchen... There are endless possibilities. Any job can be involved and you can get that experience at camp.


4) Money. I know it's odd to bring up because camps don't necessarily pay a ton... But when you think about the money you'd get working an unpaid internship... Money.


5) NATURE- You get to spend your summer outside. Not stuffed up in an office. Get dirt on your hands, not papercuts!!!! --Except I can't promise you won't get papercuts...


6) You only have limited time for this experience. Trust me, you don't want to let your college years go by without taking advantage of your summers off by going to camp!! You have the rest of your life to work in an office... You may only have these four summers to work at camp.


7) Skills- There are so many skills you can only learn through living and working and teaching with people for a whole summer. You learn so much about different personalities and people that will carry with you through the rest of your life. These lessons and skills have been so important to who I've become and I use them everyday.




8) Bonus reason: You get to wear crazy outfits almost everyday.



If you're looking for a camp to work at this summer, let me know!!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment